photo of Costa Mesa Women's Club

Celebrating 100 Years of Culture, Friendship and Community!

Founded in 1910, the Costa Mesa Women’s Club was established to offer its members all areas of general culture, and to promote community interests and support social and educational organizations.

History of the Club

The Women’s Club started as a Sewing Circle. In 1910 the Friday Afternoon Club was established in a meeting at the home of Miss Alice Plumer.

Under the sponsorship of Dr. B.M. Armstrong, the membership flourished and in 1922 the group was formally accepted into the California Federation of Women’s Clubs. Property for a clubhouse was donated by Mrs. Carl Spencer. The early building was located on Newport Boulevard between 17th and 18th Streets. It was soon too small for the membership and was sold in 1948.

The clubhouse we now use was built and the Club moved into it in 1950. Money to finish the kitchen was raised by a group who donated $50 each, thus becoming the original life members.

In 1961 the Club members celebrated the burning of the mortgage.

In 1962 the Club name was officially revised to Costa Mesa Women’s Club.

The Club has received numerous awards through the years and had the honor of supplying two District Presidents, Mrs. A. P. Nelson and Mrs. Reuben M. Day.

The Costa Mesa Women’s Club serves ladies from throughout several neighboring cities including Newport Beach, Huntington Beach, Corona Del Mar, Fountain Valley, Santa Ana and Irvine, among others. A philanthropic and social organization, the Club sponsors several educational scholarships for young adults.